Active Mobility Consultancy (AMC) Campaigns
English, German, Polish, Spanish
Free of charge
Experts selecting appropriate target area and group as well as for designing the campaign and evaluation
public transport data, spatial and household data
Guidance document / Manual Method / Approach
- Analysis, scenarios and measure selection
- Evaluation and monitoring
- Rural areas
Active Mobility Consultancy (AMC) Campaigns aim to overcome subjective barriers to public transport use and to highlight the clear benefits of sustainable modes such as walking and cycling in terms health, safety and climate. The ideal implementers are therefore public transport operators or public authorities at the local or regional level.
The main goal of this tool is to promote the use of existing public transport services in rural and peri-urban regions through a personalised travel marketing approach. It is accompanied by active measures targeted to inhabitants or particular demographic groups, which are also given the option to provide feedback on the current public transport supply.
The word active in active mobility consultancy has a threefold meaning. It refers to
- the active process of informing people about public transport services based on their individual needs, rather than expecting people to look for information themselves;
- the implementation of several active measures aimed at reducing barriers to public transport use; for example hands-on traveller training for older people; and
- the consideration of feedback received through dialogue with public transport users and the active adaptation of services, taking their needs into account.
An important aspect of the approach is that it does not assume major new investments in (rural) transport services, which are unrealistic in many areas, but instead focuses on promoting and making the best use of the available services and resources.
The concept of active mobility consultancy (AMC) campaigns has been successfully implemented as part of the EU-funded project SmartMove in eight European regions. Every SmartMove AMC campaign addresses a specific aspect. Within each of the eight regions, several hundreds of households were contacted. Active mobility consultancy has proven effective and efficient to increase user awareness and make people use public transport more often. The increased ridership helps to sustain and improve public transport service levels.
Collective passenger transport & shared mobility
- Ride sharing
- Car sharing
- Bike sharing
- Service improvements
Behavioural change & mobility management
- Mobility marketing and awareness raising
- Mobility Planning
Public participation & co-creation
smartmove [at] boku.ac.at