Uptake of electric vehicles by fleet operators
The first EV chargers were installed in Rethymno for "park-and-charge" use. Tailored signage for the charging stations and the designated parking slots was designed, incorporating elements that highlight the sustainable profile of the city.
Implementing sustainable mobility
Rethymno is promoting the uptake of electric vehicles and introducing the first in region public charging infrastructure, aiming to enhance the circulation of zero emission vehicles in the city, by tourists and citizens alike.
The city has launched the first three – free of charge – EV charging points and foresees incentives for fleet operators to introduce EVs and unlock the demand for EVs.
The main objectives of the measure are to:
- increase awareness of and interest in e-vehicles and e-bikes.
- introduce public e-charging infrastructure in the region.
- unlock public/private funding for additional charging points in the city and the region.
- provide incentives to support e-vehicles demand.
- facilitate procurement of electric vehicles by fleet operators.
- decrease noise and GHG emissions due to increased share of clean vehicles.
Actions foreseen include:
- A location study for e-vehicle charging points, taking into account tourists and citizens’ mobility.
- Procurement and installation of the first public EV charging points in the region.
- Signage with a powerful promotional message near charging points and in parking areas.
- Campaign to raise awareness and demand of EVs through mentions in the local media, on social media, at public events, and test drives.
- Incentives to fleet operators (car rental and taxi fleets) so as to encourage them to introduce electric vehicles into their fleets.
- Cooperation with the region to create further charging infrastructure at the main entry points to the island.
The main activities performed so far are:
- The three, first in region, public EV charging stations are installed and operating free of charge; a fourth fast EV-charger is ensured through ERDF funds.
- Design and production of dedicated signage for the charging stations and parking spots.
- Working meetings with car rental and taxi fleets’ representatives to encourage the electric vehicles introduction in their fleets are taking place.
- Awareness and informational campaigns, including test drives and public events.
- Working meetings with fleet operators, car rental companies and taxi unions to encourage the introduction of electric vehicles into their fleets; continuing efforts to address e-car test drives.
The main outcomes are:
- Initiating an EV charging network for the region, installing the first four public EV charging points.
- Introducing e-cars into private fleets.
- Free EV parking card for electric cars in public parking sites.
- Car rental companies informed.
- Capacity building activities with regional stakeholders to foster the charging network expansion and electro-mobility in public and private fleets.