SUMP observatory and participation
Mobility solution ID
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria already had a SUMP (2009-2012). For this, a detailed mobility diagnostic was conducted that led to a set of strategic urban mobility measures. Some of these have already been implemented, whilst others are under development.
This DESTINATIONS measure aims to create a Mobility Office to monitor and evaluate the implementation of the current SUMP; to update information on mobility patterns; and to carry out different mobility studies or actions. The Mobility Office/SUMP Observatory will also coordinate all projects designed to improve conditions for and promote walking, cycling and public transport.
Implementing sustainable mobility
The Mobility Office or Mobility Observatory is already in operation and is supporting the Municipality of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and Guaguas Municipales to carry out several technical analyses and studies. These aim to foster sustainable mobility actions across the city.
Some of their tasks are:
- To analyse the institutional mobility framework (new mobility law proposal). In September 2019 and during European Mobility Week 2019, a participation process was launched to invite citizens to propose ideas to be included in the local mobility Ordinance.
- To set up a mobility observatory and database that will provide data and tools to mobility planners and stakeholders that allow them to take decisions related to mobility management. In order to update the key mobility indicators, the mobility observatory met with mobility stakeholders to hear their needs and ensure their involvement.
- To conduct technical analyses and studies to support the implementation of the Bus Rapid Transit system in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. This includes macro and micro simulations of traffic and traffic light priority analysis.
- To carry out different mobility analyses that support the Municipality in the implementation of urban mobility actions. This includes an analysis of personal mobility, studies on bike lane implementation, traffic impacts in case of road modifications, etc.
Status of Implementation
The Mobility Office is in operation.
- Mobility office.
- Stakeholder engagement events and meetings.
- Environmental assessment.
- Communication strategy.
- Several technical studies and analysis that have supported the municipality to progress with the implementation of mobility projects (BRT, bike lane network, pedestrianisation, traffic light prioritisation, etc.)