Information and traffic management systems
In this measure Vitoria-Gasteiz wanted to enhance the attractiveness of the public transport system through a traffic information and management system.
Implementing sustainable mobility
The main aim of this measure was to provide the different transport mode users with an effective communication system, to support their modal choices and trip plans, in order to achieve economical savings (energy, transport) and to influence their decisions toward a more sustaible modal split.
The main objectives of this measure were:
- To create a new information system, to collect real time traffic information, allowing the citizens and civil servants to access all the mobility and traffic information from a unique space in the municipal website.
- To implement a communication system to get this traffic information through a wireless network, in a small area of the city (5%). This communication system pilot will be the base to extend this technology to the whole city.
This measure was expected to improve the traffic management in the city, to have a better communication system, and to have a more economical way to expand traffic equipment and systems in the city. Moreover it facilitates citizens in the decision making process about mobility related matters.
In the first stage of the measure, a multidisciplinaire team was created to involve the Traffic Service, Contents Service, Environment Department, Environmental Studies Centre and Technologies Department into the works. The team studied other existing information systems and their information contents, to analyze which data were available in these systems, how the information was structured and maintained.
After the definition of data needs, we started several subprojects (defined on the basis of the various information sources) that would ultimately supply the system with information.
The information showed in the different sections of this new municipal website comes from different sources and is very different in nature. Therefore, it was necessary to identify, for each homogeneous piece of infomation, a responsible subject for its recovery and update, and a way to implement this mechanism.
From the technological point of view, we developed a brand new information system. Most of the traffic information and data are saved on the municipality's traffic management system, which was developed by a private company. It was necessary to contract that company to create an application to interface the new information system.
Once all the traffic information could be easily extracted, a new software was developed to publish this information on the website.
Additionally, a new non planned software had to be developed to synchronize the use and publication of traffic monitoring cameras. The origin of this problem was that traffic cameras are also used by the Municipal Police, and when they take control of a camera, the images can’t be displayed on a public website.
In addition to this part of the project aimed to create a mobility information system, we proposed to implement a Wi-max communication system carrying out a trial pilot over a small area of the city.
After having studied the state of the art of wireless communications, we defined the technical specifications for the tender of the needed system. Installation of the wireless communication system was completed. It’s wider than foreseen, as it covers the 15 % of the city.. We also installed a new component (a traffic camera) that sends data to the system through this new network.
Vitoria-Gasteiz got the following results:
- Wi-max implantation pilot project: A new wireless communication system was installed in part of the city, and a new traffic component (a traffic camera) was connected to this network. This new traffic netwok was connected to the existing municipal network.
- Real time mobility information system: A new space was developed in the website. Real time information is being published in this area. Moreover, all the available mobility information ( car, bus, bicicle…) was integrated in the same space.
- 15% of the extension of the city covered by Wi-Max.
- The use of the traffic website has increased since we have published real time traffic information. The most accessed item is traffic cameras.