CIVITAS invites you to join an online training session on 23 June, 09:00 – 12:30 CEST, to learn about concepts and methods that can help you evidence your case for active transport to decision-makers. Sign up here.
Everyone knows that it is healthy to cycle and walk, and that a city is more attractive with fewer cars and more cyclists, pedestrians and greenery. But how important do we think that is? What effects do they have and whom do these impact on? And then, how much should you invest in this as a city? And what is the effect for entrepreneurs of making a street or neighbourhood car-free? It is these questions decision-makers raise.
The concept of a 'cost-benefit-analysis' is a common method for infrastructure appraisal. What is perhaps less commonly known is that principles from this method can also be applied to active transport projects and investments.
These principles can also help you increase your chances of accessing financing. Did you know, for example, that some great active transport infrastructure was ‘financed’ through the travel time benefits for motorised traffic?
What you will learn?
In this training, you will be introduced to concepts and methods that help you in building your case for active transport in your city. After completing this training, you will:
- Understand the typical benefits of active transport.
- Understand specifics of walking and cycling benefits.
- Know the basic elements for building your case for active transport projects.
Who should participate?
All of those that are involved in the following activity types:
- Sustainable urban mobility planning
- Preparing and implementing active mobility projects
- Urban mobility decision making
The programme for this training session (subject to change) is as follows:
- Welcome and introduction
- Benefits of walking and cycling
- City success story
- Methods to building a case
- Group work
- Conclusions and wrap-up
The programme elements will be delivered through a mix of expert presentations, plenary discussions, and interactive working forms and group work.
The training runs from 9:00 - 12:30 CEST on 23 June and it is recommended that participants plan in a 15-minute buffer after this in case there is a lot to debate! Participants are invited to start logging into the platform from 8:45 onwards.
An experienced team will ensure a unique online training experience. This training session will be delivered by:
- Lilian Tilburgs and Matteo Jarre | Decisio | Amsterdam (the Netherlands)
- Gabriele Del Carlo, City of Torino (Italy)
- Florent Coignac, City of Bordeaux (France)
- Teije Gorris | DTV Consultants & CIVITAS ELEVATE | Breda (the Netherlands)
- Kim Heerkens | DTV Consultants & CIVITAS ELEVATE| Breda (the Netherlands)
How can you enrol?
Registration is easy – go this link -https://civitas-learningcentre.talentlms.com- then follow the steps below:
Step 1: Create a user account
- Go to the top right and click: "sign up" to create a user account. Note that you are in charge of your account. If you would like to delete it after the training, then you can do so.
- Once you have completed the form, click "create account".
- You will be requested to confirm your account by email. Check your inbox and spambox for an automatically generated email.
- After confirmation you have created an account
Step2: Enrol in the training session of your choice
- Log in using your credentials
- Select the training(s) of your choice and click “get this course”
Step 3: Get informed and prepared
- Once you have enrolled, you will be able to access the relevant login information to the training session that we will organize in Zoom.
Other relevant information will be made available in the platform.