CIVITAS online training - Creating attractive cities
Training <span hover="no-hover" link-type="button-solid-shadow" color="white-pure">Learning Centre</span> CIVITAS Initiative
CIVITAS invites you to join an online training session on 30 June, 09:00 – 12:30 CEST, to learn about creating attractive new cities, with a focus on parking management and UVARS. Sign up here.
The necessity of creating attractive cities is recognised more and more. Attractive cities are nice places to live in, they make people happy, and they contribute to quality of life, health, the environment, and the economy. At the same time, attractiveness is ‘quite’ subjective – what is perceived as attractive by some people is perceived as unattractive by others.
Yet there are some general findings. Green, open and well-maintained public spaces are perceived as attractive. What is perceived as unattractive are congested cities and motorised vehicles that emit noise and fumes, creating stressful traffic conditions.
There are two known instruments that could (or should) be considered as tools for creating attractive cities:
- Parking management: this tool can benefit urban mobility as well as the overall quality of life in our cities. In fact, good parking management can help free up public space, support local businesses, reduce time spent searching for available parking, generate revenues, and generally make our cities more attractive.
- Urban Vehicle Access Regulations (UVARS): or sometimes known as limited traffic zones, low-/zero-emission zones and pedestrian areas. They prevent certain user categories of vehicles classes from entering particular areas in cities. However, these and other schemes – spatial interventions - can be also considered as tools to create attractive cities.
What you will learn?
In this training, participants will be introduced to parking management and access regulations tools. After completing this training, you will:
- Understand the basic principles of parking management and UVARS
- Understand how these tools fit in the bigger picture of creating attractive cities
- Understand key approaches to apply the tools
Who should participate?
All of those that are involved in the following activity types
- Sustainable urban mobility planning
- Preparing and implementing active mobility projects
- Improving urban centres and shopping areas
- Parking policy makers
The programme for this training session (subject to change)
- Welcome and introduction
- Introduction to parking management
- Introduction to UVARs for limiting traffic
- Tools and guidance
- Synergizing tools and planning
- Group work
- Conclusions and wrap-up.
The programme elements will be delivered through a mix of expert presentations, plenary discussions and interactive working forms and group work.
The training starts at 9:00 and runs until 12:30 - it is recommended to plan in a 15-minute buffer in case debates carry on! Participants are invited to start logging in to the platform from 8:45 onwards.
Our experienced team will ensure a unique online training experience. This training session will be delivered by:
- Tom Rye | CIVITAS PARK4SUMP
- Cosimo Chiffi | TRT & CIVITAS REVEAL | Lecce & Milan (Italy)
- Teije Gorris | DTV Consultants & CIVITAS ELEVATE | Breda (the Netherlands)
- Kim Heerkens | DTV Consultants & CIVITAS ELEVATE| Breda (the Netherlands)
How can you enrol?
Registration is easy – go this link -https://civitas-learningcentre.talentlms.com- then follow the steps below:
Step 1: Create a user account
- Go to the top right and click: "sign up" to create a user account. Note that you are in charge of your account. If you would like to delete it after the training, then you can do so.
- Once you have completed the form, click "create account".
- You will be requested to confirm your account by email. Check your inbox and spambox for an automatically generated email.
- After confirmation you have created an account
Step2: Enrol in the training session of your choice
- Log in using your credentials
- Select the training(s) of your choice and click “get this course”
Step 3: Get informed and prepared
- Once you have enrolled, you will be able to access the relevant login information to the training session that we will organize in Zoom.
Other relevant information will be made available in the platform.
This is recommended related external content and can be viewed by clicking on it. By clicking you consent to the display of external content. This enables personal data to be transmitted to third-party platforms.