The latest local CIVITAS network, CIVINET Romania, has welcomed its first members. Eleven Romanian-speaking municipalities and organizations joined the network in January 2017: Municipality of Timisoara, Municipality of Constanta, Municipality of Bistrita, Municipality of Calarasi, Metropolitan Zone of Craiova, Metropolitan Zone of Constanta, Public Transport Company Oradea, Metropolitan Transport Company Oradea, OraseEnergie Romania – Brasov, European Integrated Projects (EIP) and Cadariu and Partners.
The network welcomes expressions of interest from new members. Membership applications are also welcome from Moldovan municipalities. The working language of the network is Romanian,.
The Romania CIVITAS National Network was established as a platform for cities in Romania and in areas using Romanian language to share experience and best practice in developing and implementing sustainable mobility strategies, policies and measures.
The Network aims:
- To promote the CIVITAS approach to integrated sustainable mobility and its principles to other cities, the media, general public and other stakeholders, throughout Romania and in areas using Romanian language;
- To widen the outreach of the Civitas Initiative to cities currently outside of Civitas without the handicap of language barriers;
- To strengthen the dissemination and take-up of results generated by the Civitas Initiative to the Network’s members and to other towns and cities in its geographic area;
- To provide a focus for dialogue between local authorities, government departments and the European Commission on sustainable mobility issues with a focus on issues specific to the geographical region covered by the Network.
- To support active communication between the members of the Network and the European Civitas Forum network of cities and also with the European Commission;
- To assist member cities in the early phases of preparing Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMPs).
CIVINET Romania will achieve its objectives through an annual General Assembly, a series of thematic events, attendance at third party events and informative online and print materials.
The CIVINET has been organized by Urban Survey, a newly-founded NGO from Timisoara, Romania, which is involved in urban regeneration, urban mobility, civic involvement and participation.
Click here to read more about CIVINETs.