Bicycle challenge: competition amongst employees
The aim of this measure was to create a healthier and more sustainable mind-set of people by using the bicycle as an alternative mode of transportation in order to travel from home to work and commute in the city as well. Within this measure, employees of different companies cycled to work and became actors in their own town by promoting cycling.
Implementing sustainable mobility
Initially, a strategic plan was prepared to identify the participating companies, the number of employees from each company and the schedule timeline. In total 100 people from 10 companies participated in the bicycle challenge campaigns.
Presentations on the benefits of cycling were delivered followed by discussions with management and employees. Ideas and suggestions were exchanged about the typical routes that were followed from home to work as well as safety issues.
Bicycle challenge campaigns
Stratagem has successfully organised two campaigns among different companies promoting cycling for commuting. The first bicycle challenge was completed in 2017 where 5 companies participated for 3 months (September – December). A second campaign was organised in 2019, with the participation of 5 companies.
During a 3-month period, the participants used mobile applications to record the distance travelled each day, the cycling time and the route followed. Stratagem collected all information and participants received a certificate and a report stating the number of kms travelled and the total cycling time for the period.
Close cooperation with key stakeholders had been succesful within this measure. The Limassol Chamber of Commerce and the KMeaters Cycling Team promoted the campaign and motivated employees to use a bicycle to commute to work.
- Decrease of CO2 emissions - 35,77 tons of CO2 saved. During June 2020.
- Fuel cost savings – 9.166 € were saved. During June 2020.
- Decreased traffic noise.
- Fuel use savings - 7.392 L were saved. During June 2020.
- Awareness of tourists and residents about the current situation of the transport system - 80% of people canvassed. Between September 2020 to December 2020.
- Tourists and residents acceptance of the current situation of the transport system - 80% of people. September 2020 to December 2020.
- Increase in the number of participants in the challenges - 100 employees participated in the campaigns. September 2020 to December 2020.
- Increase in the number of employees changing their behaviour - 70 employees were still using their bicycles to go to work. During February 2020.