Nowadays, the city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is facing a new kind of tourism, permanently connected, with new needs, and that wants more integration with their travel destinations before, during, and after the visit.
Unfortunately, currently there is no way to monitor the mobility trends and travel behaviour patterns of the tourists that visit the city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. The main objective of this measure is to gather data on where and how tourists are moving around and to clearly identify their favourite walking, cycling, and public transport routes.
Implementing sustainable mobility
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Municipality, together with Cinesi, Guaguas Municipales, the new public bike service (Sitycleta) and the Mobility Office, collected data to enable it to better understand the walking, cycling and urban public transport routes favoured by tourists.
Data were gathered via a SMART metering system, and will ultimately help create a city more suited to urban mobility.
- Increased satisfaction with the quality of mobility services.
- Reduction of noise pollution, vehicle emissions, and fuel consumption.
- Increase the total share of tourists that use sustainable modes of transport.
- Shift travel behaviour of tourists towards more sustainable modes.
- Identify and analyse the mobility patterns of different targets groups (students, tourists, commuters, etc.).
- Make the targeted destinations more attractive.
- Smart metering (where tourists are moving and find out their favourite walking, cycling and public transport routes).
- Design lines for different target groups (citizens and tourists amongst them).