Improved PT for tourists and citizens
For Rethymno, it is vital to encourage tourists and residents to choose public transport for their trips. By improving PT services, the city aims to reduce circulation of private cars and traffic congestion during peak months, to reduce air pollution, and to increase the accessibility and attractiveness of Rethymno as a tourist destination.
Implementing sustainable mobility
Rethymno aims to increase the efficiency, convenience and use of public transport. Assessment studies and PT user surveys will help to improve PT services. New thematic PT routes, rescheduled PT plans, and new smart bus stops with real time information will be introduced to make PT more convenient and attractive, not only for citizens, but also for tourists, with the aim of making PT a good option for their everyday trips in the area.
The main objectives of the measure are:
- Efficient, attractive and modern public transportation.
- Increased use of PT by tourists and residents, in the process triggering a modal shift from rental car /taxi to PT among tourists and visitors.
- Improved convenience for and satisfaction among PT users.
- Increased accessibility and attractiveness of the city as tourist destination.
The main actions of the measure are to:
- An assessment of existing PT routes, taking into account tourists’ interest/ needs.
- Reschedule PT plans.
- Design/operate new PT routes to serve key attractions and cultural events during the main touristic period.
- Respond to the real needs of PT users across the year.
- Conduct a study on the transport needs of cruises visitors;
- Devise access plans for reaching the main touristic attractions in the wider Rethymno area, which at the moment are mainly accessed with hired cars.
- Develop attractive info packages to promote new PT services/routes.
- New smart bus stops to increase efficiency of the PT information system.
- Install bike racks on selective bus routes, allowing for the combination of cycling and PT.
- Conduct a PT users’ surveys to measure satisfaction and record recommendations for improvement.
The activities implemented so far are:
- Targeted PT survey: 800+ questionnaires from PT users, citizens and visitors, recording needs, satisfaction level and recommendations for improvement. Field measurements of occupancy and time accuracy on 136 bus journeys.
- Structured interviews with tourism and PT stakeholders. Consultation meetings with the local PT operator on improvements of routes and timetables based on seasonality.
- Procurement process for new smart bus stops to increase efficiency of PT information system; contractor assigned.
- Installation of bike racks on selective bus routes, allowing the combined biking and PT use, on-going for potential expansion.
- Study for cruise ship visitor needs and perceptions completed, results analysed and integrated in the SUMP and mobility action plan.
- Design of two new routes to serve cruise ship visitors, integrating ecological walk and cycling alternatives.
The expected outcomes are:
- Improved PT services for and increased PT use among citizens and tourists.
- New bus stops and bike racks on selective bus routes.
- New routes to key attractions serving cruises visitors and promotional info packages and panels.
- New thematic PT routes, including ecological walks and bio-food alternatives.
- Regular PT users’ satisfaction surveys.
- Safe and eco driving training of PT drivers.