Electric car rental connecting the Limassol area to the airports and the port
The goal of this measure was to provide additional mobility options for visitors arriving at the airport or port needing to travel to the Limassol Region, by using sustainable modes for their leisure trips. To achieve this, new infrastructure was installed and a market benchmarking has been carried out regarding car rental options and tourists’ preferences for mobility.
Implementing sustainable mobility
Infrastructure to facilitate electromobility
The Limassol Tourism Company (LTC) collaborated with the Electricity Authority of Cyprus (EAC), the only electricity supplier in Cyprus, for the expansion of EV- Charging network in the Region. The best locations were mapped and 7 stations were installed, the four with shelters, in Limassol Region.
A market benchmarking has been carried out regarding new electric car sharing options in airports, ports, and the Limassol tourist area. The research includes questionnaires and interviews with car rental companies.
LTC had a close cooperation with local and national authorities involved with different levels of commitment and contribution.
Promotional campaigns aimed at sustainable transport modes
Maps and posters were designed and printed to largely disseminate information about the locations of the EV-Charging Stations and the expansion of the network. Maps are used as promotional material for the service and were distributed to hotels, tourist information offices, shops and other commercial activities in the city. All activities of the measure were disseminated during EUROPEANMOBILITYWEEK.
- Achieved fuel costs savings - 23.808 € were saved as of June 2020.
- Achieved saving of CO2 emissions - 36 tons of CO2 per year saved as of June 2020.
- Decreased traffic noise
- Decreased energy consumption - 47,04 MWh less were consumed as of June 2020.
- Achieved fuel consumption savings - 19.200 ltres were saved as of June 2020.
- Awareness among tourists and residents about options for commuting from/to the airport/port - 60% knew about the possibility to use an electric vehicle from/to ports/airports. Between July 2019 and February 2020.
- Tourists and residents accepted the options for commuting from the airports/port - 15% already used an electric vehicle. Between July 2019 and February 2020.
- Increased number of e-cars - 40 more e-cars. During December 2019. 47,04 MWh less were consumed as of June 2020.