Public transport: 10%
- Reduce private car dependencies
- Address the position and inertia of the citizens/local businesses
- Engage key stakeholders to a sustainable growth model
- Inspire sustainable mobility habits
- Improve soft transport modes
Upgrading of transport system
- Address seasonal fluctuation due to tourism
- Attractive and convenient PT services
- Convenient access choices to main attractions
- Improved links between PT, cycling and walking networks
- Better coordination of inter-regional and airport transportation
- Reduce traffic congestion and high environmental impacts (GHGs, urban noise)
- Improve municipality image and functionality
- Improve convenience for citizens / visitors
- Design greener and safer public spaces
Approx. 650 km.
20 km. cycling network in the city of Rethymno.
The cycling network in Rethymno prefecture includes 22 inter-regional cycling routes, 12 of them connect Rethymno with key attractions nearby.
Public transport network
Approx. 400 km.
Rethymno after DESTINATIONS
Increased PT use: 20%
Increased use of public bikes: 10-15%
Reduction of congestion events: 10%
Increased satisfaction of residents and visitors: 30%
Accidents reduction: 20%
Behavioural change of local community and tourists towards sustainable modes of transport
Improved skills for drivers, including PT and freight
Studies on Sustainable Urban Mobility planning:
Traffic Study A
Traffic Study B
Rethymno tourist guides and accessibility information for people with disabilities