Improve overall urban accessibility - Improve the image and attractiveness of the city as sustainable tourism destination
- Help the city to address the mobility problems facing during the touristic period, to improve convenience and quality of life of citizens and visitors and to enhance the travel experience. The seasonal fluctuation impacts heavily on the transport infrastructure, especially around touristic attractions, therefore the mobility system must be adapted to deal with emerging demands.
Reduce energy consumption and GHG emissions
- Improve air quality and public health
- Increase cycling, walking and use of Public Transport (PT)
- Launch electric vehicles and use of cleaner/alternative fuels
- Create a shift to sharing mobility
Improve cost effectiveness and integration of transport and mobility services
- Improve PT services and parking infrastructures, ensure efficient links between PT and other mobility modes
- Reduce car use and congestion
- Develop business models to guarantee the financial viability and lasting impacts of the measures
Replicate & Disseminate
- Change the mind-sets of citizens, challenge behaviour change towards sustainable transport modes
- Build capacity of regional urban planners, PT operators and relevant stakeholders
- Enhance local stakeholders involvement in the decision making process to ensure public consensus
- Regional and national dissemination to boost replication of green mobility measures
Approach for Rethymno
Rethymno will demonstrate a set of complementary mobility solutions combining newly emerging technologies, policy-based and soft measures with a strong replication potential aiming to improve city’s image and functionality and offer an enhanced value proposition to citizens and visitors.
Residents, tourists and key public and private stakeholders will be engaged and actively participate in the decision making and implementation process of the measures to further encourage behavioural change, along with focused campaigns and informational events.
Economic, social/well-being and environmental goals for the city will be incorporated in the holistic approach of Rethymno towards sustainable mobility. Both tourists and citizens will profit from sustainable, affordable, secure and reliable means of transport and a healthier environment.
Rethymno will lead as a lighthouse example to other Greek cities as best practice for sustainable mobility solutions and clean vehicles.