This measure aimed to define an alternative framework for urban freight logistics coherent with the super-block model proposed by the Sustainable Mobility Plan of Vitoria-Gasteiz, in order to:
- Avoid the disturbances goods distribution could produce into the public space.
- Eliminate hazards by removing traffic from the pedestrian areas.
- Improve the quality of public space.
- Facilitate freeing up the largest public space possible.
- Improve traffic flows.
- Reduce current public infrastructure maintenance costs.
- Reduce negative environment effects: pollution and noise.
- Avoid the disturbances the proposed scenario could produce to the courier services trying to include them from the very beginning in its definition.
- Achieve a consensus on the proposed solution among all stakeholders involved in the distribution of goods.
The objective of the measure was to define a scheme targeted to the scale of the freight distribution within the superblocks, and to implement an experimental scheme in one of the superblocks.