Stuttgart is located in the centre of a thriving economic region with a high incidence of traffic. Every day about 800,000 cars enter and leave the city. The high amount of car traffic leads in combination with the very busy city centre to major problems with air quality. The measure 'Mobility Information and Service Center Stuttgart' will help to reduce the number of car trips by influencing the personal mobility behaviour of people travelling within Stuttgart.
To reach this goal the measure follows the following objectives:
- To improve sustainable mobility, reduce noise and lower emissions by organising mobility in a social and environmental manner through corporate mobility management for both local companies and residential communities
- To develop alternatives to the conventional use of passenger cars through innovative concepts like sharing usually individual means of transport such as cars and bicycles
- To reduce private vehicle trips (as single drivers) in favour of environmental-friendly transport modes, including both vehicle-sharing (cars, bicycles, pedelecs, electric cars) and ridesharing
- To improve individual mobility even in difficult situations, e.g. caused by huge construction sites that take considerable time to complete, like the Stuttgart 21 project in Stuttgart
- To reduce the costs of mobility
- To improve air quality and to reduce stress in Stuttgart.
In detail the measure is following three different activities:
- Support of corporate mobility management, including the following steps: Contact with relevant companies, evaluation of the present mobility behaviour of employees through a standardised survey of the Statistics Department of the Municipality, support of the development of company-specific mobility plans and their implementation, acting as an intermediary between companies, public transport authorities and municipal departments dealing with urban planning and mobility, evaluation of the results
- Support of the take up of new models with respect to sharing of cars, bicycles, pedelecs and e-bikes, including the following steps: Identification of relevant housing projects, development of project-specific concepts, support in the implementation of the concepts, evaluation of the results.
Implementation of several measures (Video clip at one of the most important intersections at the entrance of Stuttgart (Pragsattel) and on the website of the Municipality, radio-spots and interviews on one of the most important local radio stations, Mega-Lights at 22 locations in the city near main roads) to support ridesharing, evaluation of the results.
- Provision of mobility related information on huge, time intensive construction sites, including the following steps: Gathering relevant information of the different relevant partners, publishing the information using different means (internet, personal information, etc.), evaluation of the results.