Before the CIVITAS DYN@MO project, the city already had a traffic control centre providing real-time information on congestion to influence route choices on the roads around the historic city centre, and was using macro and micro traffic models fed by automated traffic counts to develop and evaluate its mobility policies. The urban public transport company EMT provided real-time bus departure information at bus stops. On the website of the public transport company there already was a public transport route planner available as well.
During the preparation phase of the measure the following tasks were executed:
- Design of the user interface and the integration of the information systems
- Development of the application for the availability of the nearest public bicycle (measure P1.2)
- Development of the online viewer of accessibility (related to healthy walking routes measure P1.2)
- Further development and integration of the information system on congestion and traffic cameras to support route choices by car drivers in the CIVITAS area
- Integration of existing public transport information system
- Integration of new public parking information system (developed in measure P3.2)
- Integration of a multimodal travel planner
- Integration of social media: Twitter and Facebook
- Study on legal and practical implications of loading citizen card data on mobile phones, making it possible for customers to pay for their bus trip with their mobile phone
Implementation & demonstration
The MobiPalma mobile app and platform provides real-time, geo-located information on traffic conditions, location and occupancy level of parking lots and public bicycle stations, and information on the EMT Palma public bus network. The application is compatible with iOS and Android devices (both smartphones and tablets).
In the implementation phase the following tasks were carried out:
- Payment for street parking via a smartphone application in April 2014
- Establishment of social network groups for EMT and healthy walking routes
- Launch of the CIVITAS DYN@MO mobility platform in January 2015, updated in March and May 2015. To download the App click on: Apple iOS (http://mobipalma.mobi/iOS) or Android (http://mobipalma.mobi/Android)
- Availability of the application in English, German, Spanish and Catalan
- During 2016 the App has been improved with information about taxis, inter-modality, charging points, free parkings and trip planning.
- As requested by users, the App became accessible for visual impaired citizens.
- EMT (public bus Company) has created an advertising campaign for the App on its website