CIVITAS MIMOSA and CIVITAS VANGUARD held a training workshop on advanced telematics for urban transport improvement.
The training workshop provided:
- The opportunity to exchange knowledge with experienced urban transport professionals;
- Presentations of state-of-the-art intelligent transport systems;
- Inspiring case studies from across Europe showing innovative approaches in the field of ITS; and
- Tools to build a case for ITS deployment in your city!
The training event on 14 - 15 December specifically addressed the potential of ITS to bring policy delivery forward. The training event addressed three stages of the policy implementation cycle: identification of objectives and measures, implementation, and evaluation and monitoring.
- From objective to measure: Cities have an implicit or explicit vision about urban life. Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans help to structure the thoughts about objectives and vision. The training will help to link specific ITS measures to concrete urban policy objectives.
- Implementation: The training event will help to understand several aspects of the actual implementation of ITS applications that are managed by the host city – the City of Bologna. Juridical, financial, procurement, integration and maintenance issues will be addressed. The training event will help to define and implementation plan.
- Monitoring, evaluation as instruments to ensure the measure after CIVITAS has ended: ITS, by nature, have the ability to generate monitoring data that can be analysed to assess the policy delivery contribution of the systems and that can help to improve traffic and public transport conditions. The training event will help to see opportunities that ITS-generated data can offer to improve urban transport systems, and to justify investments in ITS.
The training event was supplemented with a site visit to Perugia on 16 December, organised by CIVITAS RENAISSANCE. Find the programme and invitiation here.