Since 2009, Aachen has been recognised as a German model region in the field of electromobility and has been funded by the Federal Ministry of Transport. In addition, many research activities related to electromobility are being carried out at the University of Technology Aachen and at the University of Applied Sciences.
Electromobility from the city of Aachen's perspective is much more than a substitution of cars with other cars. In particular, pedelecs hold great potential to motivate people to leave their cars and use other modes. Aachen is developing an intelligent approach towards low priced but effective strategies to assist a wide range of (intermodal) electric mobility solutions.
The main objectives of this measure were to:
- Demonstrate the wide range of electric vehicles
- Support new electromobility offers
- Increase knowledge about the raising oil consumption (peak oil), the need for (regional) renewable energy production and the potential of electric vehicles
- Encourage the use of smaller, lighter and more appropriate city vehicles
- Develop economic sustainable transferable promotion solutions for cities