No vehicles with potentials of zero emission driving within the inner city are currently available in Monza. About 73 buses owned by NET go through Monza every day only to pursue Urban Public Transport Service. The fleet is constituted of 20 Euro0 buses, 6 Euro1 buses, 29 Euro2 buses, 8 Euro3 buses, 1 Euro4 bus, 5 EEV buses. There is a high expectation by the citizens that the Public Transport fleet could be the benchmark in terms of best practices for Sustainable Mobility, especially for air pollution.
The measure objectives are:
- To make Public Urban Transport cleaner reducing emissions and human exposure to air pollution
- To gain best practice examples from other cities who have implemented a hybrid bus and to develop a technical specification for the delivery of a hybrid bus.
- To reduce emissions value with respect to traditionally diesel fuelled buses in order to to reduce the environmental impact of Public Transport fleet in the City, especially for greenhouse gases (GHGs), and to have an awareness raising effect on other local fleet operators and individual citizens.
- To test performances of the hybrid bus, in order to verify if decisions about future procurements by Public Transport (PT) companies can shift towards hybrid technology.
The measure has achieved these aims through:
- Carrying out a Hybrid Bus Specification Study; and
- Procuring and operating a Hybrid Bus.