The initial goal of this measure was to extend the pedestrian zone by 2 km and introduce 15 km of new cycling lanes. In addition, the city planned to introduce new bike parking facilities and services. The objectives of the measure were to:
- Increase priority and road space for walking and cycling;
- Increase the number of cyclists;
- Maintain the high modal share of walking;
- Reduce the amount of private car traffic; and
- Reduce congestion and pollution.
At the start of the project in 2008, pedestrian zones in the city already covered 98 km² and the network of cycling lanes added up to 28 kilometers. The goals of the new infrastructures were to complete missing connections in the cycling network; to create new walking routes; and to extend the pedestrian zones in the city centre.