One of the biggest industrial and commercial development projects in the history of the city is the development of the northern riverbank of the Göta Älv, in the Lundy district. The area used to be part of the docklands of Göteborg, an engine for the financial foundation of the city. Over the past decades, however, industrial structures have changed, leaving this central area open for redevelopment.
New companies and housing areas together with a more frequent delivery trend for companies create larger goods flows leading to problems with air quality and safety. By co-ordinating deliveries from suppliers to companies in Lundby, the demonstration aims to show the potential of improving the efficiency of goods transportation in the area. The demonstration measure focuses on consumer companies of office materials and makes them aware of their role in the logistic chain.
The aims of the demonstration measure were:
- to establish contacts between wholesalers of office material and companies on the northern bank of the river; and
- through a voluntary agreement between both entities decrease the number of transports of office material by 30%.
- Influence the buyer companies to change behaviour, to plan their purchases more efficiently
- Help the buyer to create better purchasing routines that will lead to less transportation
- Create an Internet portal to help the buyers in their purchase routines