The main tasks within this measure were to compare situation on technical level in the field of safety and security between cities, to establish quality platform where professionals can develop comprehensive strategies in the field of safety and security in PT and to learn from good practise from other cities and implement them in their cities.
Some of the best practices were identified, for example:
This is an innovative youth prevention programme, aimed to reduce large and small conflicts and nuisance on public transport caused by secondary scholars and to enhance mutual respect between public transport personnel and youngsters. Mutual respect is the basis of a good prevention strategy.
PT adjusted to categories of users (Zagreb)
To learn about the needs of elderly people with reduced mobility in public transport, several activities were implemented among the target population (e.g. a survey among elderly people on the shortcomings of urban public transport through 17 workshops; brochure on how ro use safely PT, short educational film on how to behave in the PT vehicles).
A document in which number of categories that are important for the safety and security of public transport was created. That Matrix 5.1-COM was jointly produced in order to reduce the risk and severity of accidents with capitalising the potential of new technologies. The following was concluded:
- Low floor buses and trams offer new safer and more secure way for travel through city, especially that of the children, disabled and the elderly
- Better education and training for drivers is needed for them to be acquainted with needs of specific groups
- A specific information campaign is organised on how to behave on public transport. Extra information on buses, trams and on stops keeps the passenger informed.
- Drivers and controllers should be trained to work out and cooperate with preventive and proactive project activities which scholars can participate in. The aim is to conceive mutual understanding and respect.
- Drivers should be trained on how to contact with customers and how to react in case of an incident.