Public satisfaction with mobility services in Burgos was assessed by means of surveys and indicators such as occupancy rates and frequency of usage. Based on the results, and on the modeling of actual and future demand, activities were designed to improve intermodality in the city.
A need was identified for intermodal connections at arrival and departure points in the city in order to guarantee more efficient journeys. These included bus and train stations, as well as parking areas in order to facilitate transfers from cars to public transportation or bicycles. While focusing on new transport infrastructure and safer connections between urban transport systems, attention was also given to the needs of people with reduced mobility and to the provision of information on transportation options.
Specific objectives were to:
- improve the quality of public transport in order to increase passenger numbers;
- improve frequency according to demand by expanding the bus network and introducing priority bus lanes;
- plan timetables based on demand;
- install 20 electronic panels at bus stops to display real-time travel information;
- raise public awareness of the advantages of using public transportation;
- improve accessibility on urban buses;
- install safety features on urban buses; and
- ensure continuity of travel and comfort for users of clean urban transport services.