Ústí nad Labem is becoming gradually more and more congested with vehicles as the demand for travel grows. The city centre is overloaded by individual transport and the con-coordination and non-regulated supplying of business activities creates problems. The city has a target to improve the urban environment and ensure a better life for its inhabitants.
The city centre covers a rather small area. Its function is various, from providing residents with housing, offering cultural realisation, business opportunities, shops, services, offices, medical facilities, etc. Therefore, accessibility of the centre has to be on a high level.
A feasibility study was developed to determine feasibility of implementing a city centre access control and develop a plan of measures that could be implemented as part of the Sustainable Urban Transport Plan in Ústí nad Labem with the aim to reduce the volume of traffic in the centre and to improve the environment in the city.
The study was aimed at following issues:
- how to reduce the proportion of transit traffic
- how to reduce the number of vehicles entering the city centre
- how to improve conditions for safe walking and cycling
- how to reduce traffic congestion
- how to improve traffic safety and traffic flow
- how to improve conditions for public transport services in the area
- how to solve the parking problem in the city centre