Besides small-scale initiatives with biodiesel in some of the other municipalities in Mallorca, there had not been any large-scale implementation of clean vehicles before DYN@MO. It was expected that the large-scale introduction of CNG in the municipal fleets would have a high visibility of clean vehicles in Palma and therefore on the whole island.
The main objectives of this measure were to:
- Prepare the introduction of CNG buses in the urban public transport fleet.
- Evaluate emissions and energy use of the 12 CNG buses that are already in operation
- Implement a biogas production plant at a municipal landfill site and make the biogas available at a new CNG filling station
- Purchase 8 new CNG trucks and convert 22 waste collection trucks so they can run on CNG and biogas.
- Reduce noise emissions
- Reduce annual emissions of pollutants compared to new diesel buses
- Raise awareness about alternative fuels among citizens and other fleet operators